Tuesday, August 10, 2010

 
Chapman Siccavit NOT Moses Chapman
I used to think this stamp belonged to Moses Chapman. I was very wrong! Because there are no known silhouettes with Chapman stamp, I jumped the gun when I saw this particular embossment. However, the more I saw the more I began to doubt.

It is not that these silhouettes are fakes, or that this stamp is a fake. They are what they are. Perhaps, these items were actually made by someone named Chapman, but they are not by Moses Chapman.

What did it for me was this silhouette of a boy with hat (see photo). I recently found this on the internet. It has CHAPMAN SICCAVIT stamp, though a bit weak. I believe this particular silhouette is 20th century. This type of cutting is very much in line with other fantasies of the 1920s and 30s.

 Note: See photo of a girl with fake PEALE stamp. No question whatsoever about this girl and this boy done by the same artist.

After 80-90 years, stock papers have acquired good age tone, not dissimilar in some cases to those of the early 19th century. The artist seemed to have covered many bust styles, some in imitation of 19th century works. Others, like this illustrated example, are new lines. Carrick mentions J. Brown also used SICCAVIT as a part of his stamp. Perhaps, Carrick meant to say Chapman. But if such stamps exist, there is a good chance it is another early 20th century fantasy, likely created by the same artist. Now I believe this SICCAVIT is two words: SIC CAVIT. This may be defined as, "thus beware" or "so beware." I got the message loud and clear now.

Because I misattributed these lesser works to Moses Chapman, who was many times better than this artist, my apologies to him. I just placed some flowers on his gravestone (see photo).

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]